Garbage Fees Reminder
Published 17th September 2010, 3:44pm
Department of Environmental Health (DEH) officials are reminding the public of changes that were made regarding garbage fee charges as of 1 July this year.
The changes are as follows:
- Owners of single and private homes are no longer billed for garbage collection.
- Residential properties (multi-family, condos, large apartment complexes, etc.) that are required by law to have a commercial container will only be charged for the container and its servicing. Residential properties will not be billed by the number of units.
- Commercial properties (hotels, businesses, restaurants, bars, etc.) that are required by law to have a commercial container will only pay for the container and its servicing. Commercial properties will not be billed by square footage or by the number of units in the complex.
However, individuals or businesses still in arrears for garbage fees from prior billing periods remain responsible for paying their outstanding fees. These customers will continue to be billed for overdue amounts until their accounts are settled.
Commercial and residential property owners still required to pay garbage fees will continue to be billed in January and July each year. Customers are expected to pay their fees on time and can arrange payment plans with the DEH.
"The process of referring unpaid garbage fees to the Cayman Islands Government debt collection unit for recovery of overdue fees remains the same," said DEH Director Roydell Carter.
The DEH acknowledges the cooperation of those citizens who have punctually paid their dues and further thanks other civic minded persons who are currently in the process of paying.
In order to prevent any delay with mailed invoices, the public is urged to contact DEH on 949-6696 to update their mailing addresses. Fees are billed in accordance with the Public Health (Garbage and Refuse Disposal) (Amendment) Regulations.
Anyone querying garbage fees or otherwise needing information should contact the department, also on 949-6696.
Here's how to pay your garbage fees. All fees must be paid in cash, or by cheque.
- At the Department of Environmental Health, in the Cayman Islands Environmental Centre located at 580 North Sound Road. The office is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday.
- On the Sister Islands, garbage fees are payable at the District Administration Office.
- At all post offices in Grand Cayman.
- Address your payment to the Department of Environmental Health, P.O. Box 1820, Grand Cayman KY1-1109.
Source: Department of Environmental Health.