Bonfires can pose numerous hazards to the public. Smoke generated by bonfires can negatively affect persons who suffer from respiratory illnesses while improperly extinguished hot coals can be a fire hazard.
Members of the public are therefore prohibited from burning waste/bonfires unless prior approval is granted by the DEH.
To obtain approval for a bonfire, the following information and fee needs to be sent to the DEH.
- A signed letter address to the DEH Director requesting permission to light a bonfire on the beach or park in to the Cayman Islands. This must be sent via one of the following options:
- By mail to
Department of Environmental Health
P.O. Box 1820, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands KY1-1109
- By email to email@example.com
- Please include the following:
- Contact's name & phone number.
- Proposed bonfire location.
- Date, time and duration of the fire.
All requests should be made at least 48 hours prior to the lighting of the bonfire.
- By mail to
- An administrative fee of CI $ 25 CI / US $ 31.25 (cash/local check/local bank draft).
If sending an international bank draft, the fee is US $100.00. (Due to CI Government treasury policy, the department cannot accept international bank drafts under US $100.00.)
PLEASE NOTE: DEH DOES NOT GIVE PERMISSION TO BURN WASTE
Last Updated: 2017-11-14